National communique on Fort McMurray’s animals
OTTAWA - May 6, 2016 - Thank you to everyone who has called, emailed and messaged the Canadian Federation of Humane Societies to determine how to help with the animal rescue efforts during the Fort McMurray wildfires.
The Canadian Federation of Humane Societies is in direct communication with all of our member societies in the region. This includes the Fort McMurray SPCA, Alberta Animal Rescue Crew Society, Alberta SPCA, Edmonton Humane Society and Calgary Humane Society. Red Deer & District SPCA and Cochrane & Area Humane Society are at the ready to offer support, as needed.
While things are changing rapidly in this emergency situation and we do not have all the information yet, here is what we know as of now – this is coming directly from Fort McMurray SPCA, Edmonton Humane Society and Calgary Humane Society:
- All animals and staff from the Fort McMurray SPCA were safely evacuated.
- There is an employee of the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo assigned to manage the animal situation in Fort McMurray and take care of animals who were left behind.
- Animals left in houses in Fort McMurray are currently being cared for and fed in their homes by the municipality, with the hopes that people will be able to return soon.
- Fort McMurray SPCA reports that the shelter is still standing – however they still need to assess the damage.
- All organizations are waiting for a situation report from the ground to assess the needs and deployment efforts.
- Edmonton Animal Care and Control is caring for and housing the animals of evacuees in Edmonton.
- Edmonton Humane Society is managing overflow and enrichment for the animals of evacuees in Edmonton.
- Edmonton Humane and Calgary Humane do not currently need supplies to support disaster relief efforts. They have lots of food and crates for now.
All of the above organizations have asked that no supplies be sent yet, as they have not deployed. They ask that we wait for the on-the-ground assessment to be completed so that they can convey what is needed.
If you’d like to offer your help immediately, FUNDS ARE NEEDED.
Please donate money to any of the following organizations, which have disaster relief funds on their websites:
Fort McMurray SPCA
Alberta Animal Rescue Crew Society
Edmonton Humane Society
Calgary Humane Society
Thank you for your support.
For more information or media interviews, contact:
Communications and Marketing Manager
Canadian Federation of Humane Societies
(613) 224-8072 ext. 12